Saturday, February 23, 2008

Three Blogging Lessons by Heidi Richards Mooney

Rosie from Blogging for Boomers recently invited members of the Baby Boomer Diva Nation to submit their top 3 blogging Lessons to her via a phone line so she could share them with her readers.

Here’s what I shared:

Repurpose your posts. I belong to several online forums and networks. The conversations are often rich and filled with learning opportunities and I find myself writing more than usual in response to the topic of the day. When that happens I know that the topic is one that others might also find of interest so I copy the original subject, topic, question or headline from the moderator, my post and save in a file to then post on one of my blogs. I don’t copy the entire original comment unless I ask permission, just a line or two to start the conversation on my blog. I have found that these posts are the most popular because of the number of comments I then receive in response to them. In fact, that’s what I’m doing here by sharing these lessons with you.

Visit other blogs. I have made some great connections by doing this. I find blogs of interest by setting Google Alerts to the subject I am interested in learning more about and at least 3 times a week discover a great blogger to interact with. I introduce myself by posting a comment on her (or his) blog and thus begins a nice conversation which has lead to other opportunities and collaboration. I have been interviewed by bloggers as well as interviewed them by doing this on a regular basis. Blogging is a great way to build community and increase your circle of influence.

Take advantage of Blog Carnival. I recently had the opportunity to interview Deanna Troupe author of “The Cheapskates Guide to Advertising on the Internet.” She was hosting a blog carnival on her Learn Small Business blog and I asked her to share some of her tips with our audience. One of those tips was to host a blog carnival. It’s a great way to expand your readership and increase your circle of contacts because you invite others to submit their articles to post to your blog on a specific day, thus creating a “blog carnival.” You can learn more about blog carnivals at www.blogcarnival.com a great resource to find other bloggers with similar interests and audiences.

Thanks Ray and Rosie for allowing me the opportunity to share!

Heidi

2 comments:

Thomases said...

Great tips and I've used them all as well! There is so much we can learn from others and the Internet makes it such an easy learning environment!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I just wanted to let you know that my blog has a new url. It's at htttp://www.learnsmallbusiness.com I noticed that you linked to the old one. Thanks for the link love!