“Writing a book is a creative act. Selling a book is a business. A finished book is a product.” Dan Poynter, Author – The Self-Publishing Manual
Today, we had our first mastermind session on book writing, publishing and promoting.
Mostly it was about promoting. There was some excellent advice given by many of the women who joined us.
Catherine Franz of AbundanceCenter.com and Let's Talk Marketing Radio Show is an expert Marketing Guru and has helped literally thousands of books get noticed. First and formost she recommends everyone create a marketing strategy for your book. Here was more advice from Catherine:
1. Use talk radio shows as your marketing avenue
2. Create a 15 minute audio, reading part of the book, not necessarily the 1st chapter either and put it on your web site.
3. Sell your book, a license, to a book club that has your type of books, you can sell 5,000 or more copies in one shot instead of one book at a time.
5. Sell your book at your garage sales (don't discount, sell regular price) - autograph them to add value.
6. Tap the library market (must have index and no forms in the book) - The major distributor to libraries is Quality Books, here's how to reach them: Quality Books, 1003 West Pines Road, Oregon, IL 61061, I think their phone number is 815-732-4450
7. Give out flyers in your neighborhood
8. If you have a children's book, go to book stores and unannounced with a few kids and begin reading, other children in the store will join in for sure
9. Do readings at Libraries
10. Read the article 28 Reasons Why Publishers Will Buy Your Book at http://ezinearticles.com/?28-Reasons-Why-Publishers-Will-Buy-Your-Book&id=3354
BTW, you can reach Catherine at (304) 724-8901, or visit her online at http://www.abundancecenter.com/ and http://www.letstalkmarketingshow.com/.
11. Elizabeth McElrath said: I have seen books for sale on ebay in some stores...
12. Jane Carroll said I have books at gift shops and even a dress shop...I have found local festivals are not good...
13. Heidi Richards says, "JOIN a MASTERMIND!"
I'm off to part two - 5pm Mastermind. If you were unable to join us... I will post more tomorrow as well as books by women who attended.
If you are interested in attending future mastermind sessions, let me know by sending me a message to heidi (at) wecai.org with "Book Mastermind" in the subject line. I will send you details.
Heidi Richards is the Founder of the WECAI Network™, President and CEO of Eden Florist & Gift Baskets, Publisher and President of WUN Publications, Inc., a professional speaker and author/co-author of eight books, five internationally distributed e-magazines, several ebooks, tips booklets and special reports. She is also the Editor-in-Chief for WE Magazine for Women.